Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Transistion

The transition from high school to college can be difficult.  I come from a town with a population of less than 1,000 people and only 20 kids in my graduating class, so you can imagine how incredibly different being at a state university is for me. Anyway, I'm going to give some tips about things that may help your transition from high school to college.


  • Find Your Classes BEFORE Your First Class: Get out your campus map and walk to every building your classes are in so you aren't lost or walking into the wrong classroom on your first day!  People notice a freshmen when they see one, so give others the impression you're older by knowing where you're going!
  • Be Yourself: Trying to meet new people might put you out of your comfort zone at times, but you should never change who you are to fit in with someone else.  Believe it or not, some of the friends you had in high school might not be as appealing to you once you meet people who are 100% your style. 
  • Go to class!: You might think you can skip class because no one knows you and your parents can't yell at you....but you'll only dig yourself in a big hole that will be too late to dig yourself out of once you get your head out of your a**.  Everyone has a different way of learning, but going to class is a good way to network with other students about assignments, grades, similar classes, and just getting yourself out there! 
  • Manage Your Time Wisely: In high school, the only time you manage is what time you wake up for school, when to eat, and when to sleep.  Having to walk across campus to get you your classes is a change of pace.  I like to make a To-Do List the night before I know I have a busy day, which I never in my entire life thought I would do.  Sometimes I even write down when I have time for a nap. ;)
  • Have Fun: The stress of everything at once can be overwhelming at times, but don't forget to find time for fun and enjoy yourself.  There's a time to be studious and a time for entertainment, just learn a good balance between the two.  Go out, meet new people, make memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment